Love---worth dying for

This is my first blog carnival. You can join in, too. Post your entry and then link to Bridget's page to read some great posts about love.

The word love is the most overused word in the English language in my opinion. And because of this, it has lost most of its special meaning and its place in this world.  I want to look at it from my perspective, through my filter.

I view true love as something you're willing to give your life for. Something you would die to protect.  You can say you love something or someone but do you really love them?  Would you gladly lay down you life for it?  Would you really die for that person if you had to? Some people will answer these questions with "Yes" and hope they never have to back up their words.  Some will say a flat "No".  A few will say "Yes" and really mean it. 

What about me? you ask, well here's my spin on it.  There are few people in this world that mean that much to me, and even fewer things that I would give the ultimate sacrifice for.  But those few things I feel extremely passionate about.

The first being my God.  I'm not a shout-it-from-the-rooftop kinda guy.  I'll never shove my beliefs down your throat or force you to see it my way.  I try to show people what my God looks like by my actions. I fail on a daily basis but I keep trying.

A close second is my wife.  Yeah, I know it may sound sappy, but I'm not trying to score points with this statement.  I would gladly give my life to protect my wife. I'll step into harms way, any day and twice on Sunday, to make sure she is safe.  She is my world, my place of peace, my soft place to fall when I screw up, she kicks my butt when I need it and always shows me love even when I don't deserve it.

Third would be my children.  I have two boys that are far from perfect and do things daily I don't agree with or even like, but there is nothing they will ever do that will make me stop loving them.  I'll do everything in my power to make sure they are free from life-threatening harm.  Notice I said life-threatening harm.  I can't protect them form every harm that will come their way but if it came down to my life or theirs, I would give mine to protect theirs.

Last would be my country.  Yes my imperfect, frustrating country.  I joined the Air Force almost 21 years ago to protect my wife and our first child, and to provide a stable home for them.  I also joined because I believe this is the best country in the world and I love it.  Every time I hear the National Anthem I get choked up.  Every time I see the American Flag displayed I feel an overwhelming sense of pride.  Yes I would gladly lay down my life to protect the freedom we all enjoy.

Love!  What are you willing to die for?

2 comments:

~*Michelle*~ said...

GREAT post....you know, I like your writing style. Reminds me of...hmmmmm, me. You just say it like it is, you keep it real. I like that....

....and will be sure to visit again.

Anonymous said...

i almost put my comment on a different post...i noticed that some others alread did.
but, i suppose you saw them.

welcome to the blog carnival.
and thank you for your views on the word love.

i don't know what it is like to fight in a war. i think i would not be very brave and would probably faint at the wrong time.

Post a Comment